Search This Blog

Thursday, September 07, 2006

New teaching job!

I just got hired today to teach private voice lessons at the largest high school in South Bend!

I begin next week, and it looks like I'll have about 12 students to start out. They will be mostly 9th and 10th graders, and about half are from the mens' chorus. My music library is a little lacking in the tenor and bass sections (wonder why), so I spent part of the morning at one of the local music stores buying way too much stuff.

The school has a great & well-funded fine arts department, with three choir directors and 300 students involved in the choirs they offer.

Only downside - my day will start at 7:15 AM!!! I thought I became a musician so I could sleep til noon and play all night.

But really, I couldn't be more excited about this! Along with the private students I am already teaching, I'll have 20 harp & voice students now. This is just the sort of gig I've always wanted - teaching, but not having to put up with all of the garbage that comes along with an ed degree or working directly for a school district.

No comments: